Thread: It's Here....
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #44
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would seriously consider a Toyota towmotor if they ever came out with one, mainly for the proven engineering and reliability -

The problem is they have the most conservative engineers in the world, and they rely too heavily on their proven past. It took forever for them to introduce a V-6 (still pushing the 6,000 lb Land Cruiser with a 2.2 Liter 4 banger well after Dodge already had a V-8 in the little Dakota pickup). It took equally as long to introduce a V-8 in their pickup line, even when they already had one in Lexus. They even stuffed the V-8 it in a boat before the pickups (not sure where their marketing priorities were - As soon as Toyota announced thier new boat, Master Craft shoved a Cadillac Northstar in theirs and introduced it a year before Toyota got into production). I've even looked a few times at the Lexus E400 sedan to get thier V-8, but it's still Rear wheel drive and the body style hasn't changed since they were introduced 15 years ago. No, I won't live long enough for Toyota to come out with a towmotor.

I don't think it's Honda's game either - they are committed to the fuel efficient market and wouldn't dare think to get involved in the heavy duty market.

I guess that is why we get the early Ford 6.0's and those ugly headlights on the GMC's - the big 3 are in a tight competition and are continuously introducing new technology to stay alive. Some are mistakes - but most are fantastic! (re-introduction of the Hemi!, V-10s!, Tow Command!, Allisons!, etc)

After all, this thread would never be 5 pages long if we were talking Toyota and Honda
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote