View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 09:27 AM   #141
MikeRP
Established Member

M.O.C. #22500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Mike,

Thanks for reply. I personally don't mind having these civil conversations, and that's the way that we all learn, so THANKS!

We like it. Not everyone does, and that's fine. When I first showed the new trucks to mama back in early summer last year, she immediately said that she liked it, and we never saw one in person BEFORE we bought ours!

So, I have no first hand knowledge of prior years, because we went from a 2002 to a 2020!

All I know is that the RATINGS on the 2020's are up signfigantly over the prior years. I don't know if that means that they improved the springs or what???

What we also don't know, is if those prior year people had air bags on. I installed air bags on my 2002 2500 (way way under rated!), and I could get that thing as level or higher if I wanted.

I do need to measure what the overall squat is, but I think that I'm only about an 1" below level, and if that's the case, I'm not too concerned about it.

To the comment about not squatted at all, the pin weight on our 5er is close to 3000 pounds. That's a LOT to put in the bed of the truck!

I forgot to get a measurement hooked up yesterday, but I'll do that the next time that we are hooked up, so that I know what it starts at, and what it is at hooked up, and get a feel for where level is.

I'm under the opinion that if I put the truck in Tow/Haul mode, it's smart enough that it can figure out what gear it wants or needs to be in, so I'm going to leave it there.

Funny thing about that was that yesterday while towing, we were running at about 165deg tranny temp, which is nothing. I took it out of tow/haul and the temp went DOWN!, not up like it expected it too.

At the end of the day, the 10 speed transmissions in the Ford and GM are the ULTIMATE towing setup. In the GM, if it needs to shift down one gear, it does that, and your RPM's don't go from 2000 to 2500. It's able to manage that a lot better, and engine RPM's are much more tamed because of it.
Yeah, we have passed the point with all three HD truck makers that we should worry too much about truck ratings other than payload, hitch setup, and economics. There’s not hardly any RVers towing over 20,000 lbs and any HD truck drivetrain can handle 20000 lbs with ease.

So I think the discussion should switch to towing safely, hitch setup, fuel tanks, economics of the HD trucks, maintenance, etc.

Because a particular truck can get up the IKe 1 min faster towing a max load means nothing to me. If we were hauling 20,000 lbs up that hill all the trucks would get there the same time following the posted speed limit.

Now I’m a Ford lover but I drive a Ram. I’m still completely amazed that I can tow a fiver over some roads that toss me around in the truck and the steering wheel never hardly moves. I’m assuming late model Ford and GM products do the same thing.

Going from a 2002 to 2020 is like going from the Stone Age to living on the moon. Well that might be exaggerated. So a Ford is a Tiger looking for a meal and a Ram is a Mean A__ Grizzly and a GM is a Clydesdale looking for a babe. Haha. Peace
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote