View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have installed my own system so I know where you are at.
The wiring runs from the roof gland down the wall between the bathroom and living room to the basement under the stairs. If you remove the basement wall on the right side you will see the bundle. It continues on under the basement floor and comes out in the battery compartment with a bunch of other wires. Look for a red wire with a red 30A inline fuse attached to one of your red 50A self resetting fuse.
You can verify your wiring by measuring 12vdc on the roof gland.
Regarding the pre installed solar wiring bundle under your stairs.
Cut the zip tie and separate the wiring. You will find two pairs of red and black wires along with one that looks like a phone wire. This one goes to behind your control panel inside your rig. If you pull out your control panel you will find a huge mess of wiring back there. If you plan on using this phone wire you will need to fish around in there to find it. I used this wire as a pull string to install a pull string (for future use) and a communication cable for my Victron display.
To figure out which red and black wire pairs goes to the roof and goes to the battery, you have to cut off the wire junction nut.
BE CAREFULL, the one coming from the battery is HOT 12vdc. You must disconnect the battery AND SHORE power BEFORE cutting the wires. Cut them one at a time to prevent shorts (sparks!!!) Label both pairs once you have identified them.
Install your solar panels. If I was doing mine again I would use unistrut rails. Use a stud finder to find the roof studs and painters tape to mark them. Under the mounts I put Eternabond tape down first, then drilled a pilot hole, then injected a little dicore in the hole and put a generous dab around the hole, then put the mount/rail down and install the screw, then put a dab of dicor over the screw.
Mount and connect your panels to the roof gland.
Now you can measure the voltage coming from the panels on the red and black wires in the basement.
Now mount your MPPT and connect your wires to the correct posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar wiring under stairs.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	11940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar MPPT.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	11941  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote