View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thank-you everyone for your thoughts and input. After reading the reviews and information on the internet about the antennas mentioned above, I was a bit discouraged. Although they seem to be very good and have a great range, they require 12 volt electric power, and the location of my antenna on my Montana has no wiring. The closest 12 volt wire are the puck-lights in the ceiling. But they are all on an on-off-switch (cabin lights).

It's raining in Central Indiana today, and can't do anything outside, so i decided to go ahead and pull the turn-handle on the antenna from the ceiling. I did, and found out that plastic shaft itself is not broken. It's broken on the actual turn handle. It's the part that slips inside that plastic shaft.

I took the handle to my local RV dealership parts store and to my pleasant surprise had another turn handle. They actually took the one off their display. I got it for $14.00.

So, I came back home and installed it. No need to swap out anything on the roof, have to deal with old caulking, matching screw holes and repairing the roof where the old came off and the new would go. Simple. This worked out much nicer than expected. I do like the Razzar antenna, it does work well.

So, here's some photos.

The first is new push-turn-handle that rotates the antenna from inside the camper on the ceiling. The other thing is the original shaft that connects the turn handle to the antenna itself.

Here's a photo of the same new turn-handle turned over, showing the part that broke off the old one. I don't think any glue would have held it. Those plastic "wings" would have never held.

Here's the hole from inside the camper. The red lines shows the same "slot" that the inside of the tube-shaft has to catch. Also, if you notice, when I removed the handle the first time, a couple years ago, I glued and screwed in small 1/4 inch backer boards inside that hole so the screws would have something solid to screw into again. You can see them sticking over the edge of the hole.

Here is the turn-handle re-installed. I placed a piece of tape on the 'wing' that is pointing the direction of the antenna on the roof. This way, I always know which way the antenna is actually pointing.

Here's a photo of the kitchen-front living room ceiling. The red line shows where the antenna knob is.

While on this subject, I'd like to throw a couple other things "out there" for anyone who may be interested. Here is how I determine which direction the antenna should be pointed, especially since we never stay in one spot very long.

First, I use a compass, or an app on my phone to find North.

After that, I use whatismyzip.com on my phone to find the zip code I'm currently in. If you travel to new spots, it's not always knows what the actual zip code is where you land for the night, or the weekend.

After getting the zip code, I use AntennasDirect.com. The app let's you put your zip code in and an area map will appear showing you which direction the television stations are located and an approximate distance. Knowing which direction is North now, I just simply turn the antenna in that direction. The tape of the handle let's me know which direction that antenna on the roof is actually pointing.

The Razzar has some good built in omni-direction capability. So the aim does not need to be exact. It does a great job.

So, in a way, I'm very pleased I had an easy fix and it only cost me $14, a little time researching, and asking a few questions to the right people. On the negative side, I still have an antenna with moving parts. But for $14.00, I'll hang in there a bit longer with this one!

Thank-you again everyone. I do appreciate all your help.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote