View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

I don't have that particular hitch, but I think if the hitch is defective, someone with the authority to make Reese recall the hitches needs to know of this issue. I suppose this would fall under the NHSTA's jurisdiction.
I didn't have the manual for the hitch before this post, but it caused me to track it down on the Internet. I would say they are covered by their instruction, and I will have to do better about following the procedure. First step in HITCHING PROCEDURE I think is a bit of over kill (who chocks both side of every wheel):
Quote:
quote:
Place blocks (sometimes called “chocks”) firmly against front and rear of each trailer wheel to prevent any possible forward or rearward motion. DO NOT REMOVE BLOCKS UNTIL EACH OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS AND THE PULL TEST HAVE BEEN COMPLETED
Skip down to the quote for Pull Test.

Quote:
quote:
PULL TEST
1. With all trailer wheels still firmly blocked, and
2. Trailer landing gear still resting on firm ground and supporting trailer weight and,
3. Truck stationary and with emergency brake on:
4. Make sure no one is between truck and trailer, Return to cab of truck and release truck’s emergency brake. Apply trailer brakes. Try to pull trailer slowly forward with the truck. If the trailer is properly hitched, the wheel blocks and trailer brakes should keep the truck from moving forward.
I have done a little pull test in the past, but looks like I will need to check with a little more force. I always worry about damaging the front land gear.

Again thanks to RCN for this tread... I for one will be more aware, and do a more aggressive pull test.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote