View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #62
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:

Grandpachet wrote:

If there are torque specs of 45-70 i am not going to worry about the recommendation of weight on or off the ground. Checking the torque is important but with the variable numbers recommended it leaves a lot of room for discussion. How could weight on or weight off vary as much as the reommendated specs? Just my .02.
Definitely worth more than .02 Grandpachet, hopefully the vast majority would view this as you have. For those that were originally concerned about damage they might have caused and those that might not think about how illogical this is, then it would be nice to get a definitive answer from Dexter.

There is no need to be an engineer or see this from an engineering point of view, all that is important is those that for whatever reason might ask the question, we can say it either "makes insignificant difference" or "you would see xx lbs difference in doing it one way as opposed to the other".

If indeed there is "any" difference then for sure it will not be sufficient to put you outside the recommended range, especially if you set your torque at approximately the center of the range.

Although it is a PITA, my having to replace both my axles will give me the opportunity to check all this and to recheck the torque at a later date to see if there is any change. I will know what the torque was before my unit moves even one mile, and whether it makes any difference with wheels on or off the ground. Oh yes and I will be starting with all new U bolts.

Can't wait for everyone to arrive for work Monday morning at the Dexter Plant.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote