Thread: Accessory Hitch
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2022, 04:47 PM   #19
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
I hear a few people focus on bike racks that are “ fifth wheel approved”, or RV approved. It’s a good sales pitch, and a good starting point to researching. And I’ve posted before on securing bicycle racks. But cannot stress looking at how the bicycle carrier is made. The tube should be the same size as the receiver, and equivalent steel characteristics. No reduction in size should be used. And all manufacturers of bicycle racks offer different features such as flip down, swivel, collapse when empty, etc. But with every moving feature, comes an additional break in the solid foundation by a tightening bolt or wing nut. And that is where a lot of movement comes from. So, try to stay away from those features. And one of the biggest items to add to your hitch is the “anti-rattle” device for your hitch. If using an extension, you will need more than one. But they are cheap, -/+ $11.00.
So, look at the most robust racks made for bikes, and I bet they do not say “rv approved”. Purchase a solid rack, add and really tighten the anti rattle hitch device, and I promise your bikes will not move. I have one ebike and one regular mountain bike riding on a cheaper rack with the correct weight rating coming straight out of my 2” hitch. I do have to turn one bikes handle bars sideways. But it is 2 1/2 inches from the back of the FW and has yet to touch it. And that’s how confident you need to be. My wife follows a lot with the boat, and says she has never seen it shake, not even on railroad crossings.
And I’m sure the accessories hitch would do the same when secured and tightened down, of course, maintaining weight capacity. Just my 2 cents. Be safe.