Thread: Accessory Hitch
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Your camper is 41 feet long, same as mine. Mine came with a hitch, but I'm pretty sure it's a cargo hitch and not a towing hitch. Mine has a weight capacity and I had a cargo carrier I successfully used (with modifications) on my previous Outback Travel trailer.

Two things come to mind immediately when I read your post and what you are trying to do.

First, even if you are successful finding the right extension and overcome the weight capacity question, on a single shaft hitch and a single shaft cargo carrier, or bicycle carrier, you'll discover the rocking back and forth of the carrier will be just as big of a problem (if not more), than overcoming the weight problem.

The shaft will have slop in it. Unless the carrier shaft is welded into the receiver on the trailer, it will rock side to side. At the actual shaft, it might only be slightly, but magnify that 3 feet (or the height of your bicycle) and the handle bars could be swing back and forth 6 inches or more, rocking, rocking, rocking. This side movement is just as distructive to the welds on the hitch (maybe more), than the g-forces up and down.

I had to do some clever modifications on mine to keep it from rocking on my previous Outback. The carrier won't work at all on my current Montana, because it blocked the rear baggage outside compartment door on the back of the camper. But when I tired, it also has side-to-side slop and I just decided to never use it on my Montana. So basically, that hitch is worthless to me.

Second, because of the length of your trailer, the rear of the trailer has some incredible g-forces (up and down) when traveling, bouncing over expansion joints on bridges, bad road, and quick hills and dips in the road. The rear closet in my Montana actually collapsed on our first Maiden voyage because of the severe up and down movement of the rear, because it overhangs the rear axel so far.

Your hitch "might" be able to withstand all the G-forces (up and down) and rocking (side to side) that WILL happen, but..... can the equipment you carry handle it?

It's just something to think about? I'm not saying, "don't do it", I'm just saying .... think about it?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote