View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #17
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I'm pretty sure everyone on this site is under 13'6" unless they are towing their 5th wheel in a jacked up 4 x 4 truck with the RV nose really high. But just to make sure, I nailed a good quality tape measure to the bottom of a "straight" 2 x 4 x 8', and taped a long level on the top of it. Then on as level a street as you can, hold the 2 x 4 so it is level on top of the A/C unit and have your wife read the numbers on the ground, and do this on both sides of both A/C units, and for safety use the highest number as your clearance for over passes. We were at 13'6" on our 4 x 4 truck, so I lowered the 5th wheel hitch down to it's lowest setting, and assumed we were 13' 5". We came upon an overpass in Arkansas on a rural highway that said 13' 6" so DW got out and climbed the hill on the side of the overpass and watched as we went under at less than 1 mph, and she said we had about 1" clearance! Phew!