Thread: Duramax Mileage
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #32
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

My Duramax sucks! I have a 2004 late year model. Yeh, the one that overheats!! That only would be noticed by someone traveling in Az, NM, Nevada or Utah - as it is external temperature sensitive. I am fine under 90 degrees, but at 90 or above and on a long pull up a steep grade as going north out of Phoenix, I have to turn off the AC and it just barely makes it to the top. On the Duramax web site others have the same problem with this engine - only in the Silverados for about a year or so. Oh, yeh, I live in the Phoenix area so have the problem every time I leave home.
ANYWAY, back on topic - I thought I was doing good hauling my 2980 in Illinois where the speed limit is 55 and the highway is level. I got 11.3 or so, I think. One time in AZ/NM with a 30-40 mph head wind I got 7.5 running around 65-70. Around town (probably half on the freeway at 65 mph) I get 16.5 at the best by coasting to stops and starting very gingerly. So I guess my engine is not a very good version.
Oh well......
I don't think it was just the Silverados. I believe my LLY 04 Sierra would do the same in the situation you were describing. I know when I went to the LT 265 tires, my fan was off and on much more when we ran from Ike this past fall. Kind of tells me I'm right at the edge temperature wise. Of course, I don't baby it up a hill either. Not fast, I just like to maintain my speed (around 60-65)
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote