View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #27
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
To the original poster

Towing and chains, (keeping in mind you are going to be driving less then 30mph). Chains on the rear axle of the pickup will enable you to start and stop the pickup but the 5er can come around. Chains on the front axle of the pickup will help with steering (but you tend to not really need it due to the slow speeds). The trailer chains will be the ones that save you from disaster (trailer coming around).

All great advice about sitting the weather out, not being in the mess is the best option.

I've run chains on duals and singles; they are a beast but they destroy everything they come in contact with. In my area we don't have mountains so the problem is deep snow and ice; we typically don't chain the trailers but if you have hills it's a different issue. I try not to chain the front axle unless required only due to trying to limit the potential for damage (when a chain comes loose).

Summary,
The more axles with chains the more capability and the more potential for damage. Go slow, take your time. Not being in the mess is the easiest approach.
I agree 100%. The most I ever had to deal with driving on ice and snow was our five years in Germany while in the Army. We trained regardless of the weather and chaining up was routine... which is probably why I'm more comfortable than many staying on the road. Being full timers we don't have the option of "leaving it home" and there are way too many pretty places to see in the winter. So we carry chains.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote