View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 07:57 AM   #27
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
To you GA guys, I feel your pain. In my state (KY) I have to pay personal property tax on all vehicles every year when license plates are renewed. The tags on any towable are listed as "travel trailer".

I bought my Montana and a new F-350 in 2016, and the taxes on both combined have just barely dropped below $1K this year for the first time since I've owned them. I had an old 2006 F-150 plain work truck that I drove to work before I retired that I just sold last year; the taxes on that 16 year old truck were about $50/year in 2022.

Every state seems to go to great lengths to find and disguise taxes and you have to look at the entire tax burden. Our legislature is working to reduce the state income tax and over a couple of years has reduced from 6% down to 4.5% but has added sales tax to many services like plumbers, HVAC, electricians, etc that weren't charged before. Property taxes in most of the state are fairly low, and you don't pay state taxes on social security. Supposedly we are one of the most tax friendly states, but it sure doesn't feel like it.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote