View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

That's right Bill, your from Canada. When we went to Ontario one time I almost died on one of your super highways. From fright. The don't know what slow is up there. Six lanes each side I think going about 100 miles an hour. Scarey thought.
Carol
That had to be the 401. Here in the states, for years I drove trucks of various sizes and I pretty much ran with the traffic. If they wanted to run 55 I ran 55, if they wanted to run 80 I ran 80.
Well 30 + years ago we honeymooned in the 1,000 Islands in northern New York before setting off for Niagra Falls. Now I was warned to go thru NY to get to the falls and avoid the 401 through Ontario. I was told the Canadians only knew one speed...FAST. Well hells bells FAST doesn't faze a seasoned truck driver so into Canada we went. I got on the 401 at Gananoque and only travled 20 or 30 miles before I got off the 401 and dropped down to route 2 where we stayed until I was forced to return to the 401. It seemed that no matter how fast we drove there were 20 or 30 other cars and trucks that ran faster. There was no such thing as running with the flow.

It don't end there.....

Many years later I started going to Florida and the route of choice from the northeast is I-95. Guess what? The D#$% Americans drive the same way as them Canadians. In some areas we ran 75 and felt as though we were holding up traffic. BUT than I also realized that a lot of those drivers on 95 were Canadians heading for Florida for the winter. I got to thinking and now I do believe the Canadians used I-95 as a training ground to prepare them to drive the 401.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote