View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #43
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
My present fifth wheel is 15,500 GVWR, same as my previous fifth wheel, both towed with the two 1 ton SRW mentioned above. No desire here to debate weights, or who is under or over their weight ratings. I know what my weights are ,and I am comfortable with them, and yes I have had at it with those two trucks , and two fifth wheels for 13 years.
The GVW on my trailer is about the same as yours, but my previous MC was an '06 2500 and was significantly over the GVWR by about 2k lbs.
Although I had modified the truck to "handle" the weight (power enhancements, gearing swap, suspension upgrades), I was less and less comfortable knowing I was over the rated limits on the truck.
But the biggest factor (for ME) is the substantial improvement in the stability of the dually, especially on winding or rough (or both) roads.
I see many SRW trucks (3/4 and 1 ton) that I'm quite sure are over their ratings...5ers in the 40 ft. range, triple axle toy haulers etc.
NOT saying you are in that category of course...in fact I'm pretty sure you are not based on your obvious knowledge and experience.