View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #49
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickfox

Good evening All

...However, I decided I wanted a Mor/ryde pinbox, so I called and talked to them. Their "experts" who are supposed to know, recommended against it as it would place the front of the 3400RL at 2.5" - which they said was unsafe!!!!!
Guess my first thought is "Who did you talk to at Mor/Ryde?" This sounds like a very serious matter. Not trying to start an arguement, Rick. It's just that if someone warned me that my brand new, VERY expensive Montana was now viturally useless, because it was too unsafe to pull it down the road with even ONE of the 3 major branded tv's (GM/Ford/Dodge), I don't care what kind of an expert they are, I'd get a second opinion... and a third... and a fourth - from Mor/Ryde first.

That's a very serious warning, Rick. They are basically saying that Keystone/Monatana is putting out a unit that is not towable by a stock Dodge pickup. MIMF has to be considered an expert on this issue, but again... he is only one. I think I'd keep going up the chain of command until I got a reasonable, non-sarcastic explanantion... and how they recommended that THEY find a solution for you. "Get another tow vehicle" is a sarcastic answer. You want to talk to someone who can give you real solutions. After all... I'll bet they didn't have a sticker somewhere (even fine print) on the Montana that read, "This fifth wheel trailer CANNOT be towed by a stock Dodge pickup, only by a stock Ford, or by a stock GM, otherwise properly equipped and rated pickup".

Don't get me wrong, Rick. If someone were to tell me that my tv/5ver combination was unsafe, and if I tried to pull it, I would be risking tearing something up, I would be flabbergasted, then very angry. I guess I would like to see Montana's justification for this two-setting arrangement. When you talked to Montana, after you talked to Mor/Ryde, did anyone at Montana confirm, or deny, Mor/Ryde's comments and warning?
Quote:
quote:I also have seen a lot of goofy things, but that doesn't make those things OK or safe. I will happily listen to the recommendations from those who have equal or superior technical credentials to the Mor/ryde folks who wish to weigh in on this topic. But seeing someone else driving down the road with the trailer high or low doesn't make it safe.
Rick, I apologize if you thought I was in any way suggesting that my encounter Sunday on I-75, implyed that this rig was extremely dangerous, and therefore, conversely, yours was not. That surely was not my intent. I apologize if I gave you that impression.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote