View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't know what the connection points look like with the Mor/Ryde suspension as I have the older equalizer system. But you are absolutely correct the only difference between the KT71-449-00 and KT71-359-00 is the size of the equalizer. Note: this is the standard all metal equalizer, not the EquaFlex one. My supplier can not explain the difference in cost (around $45) for the slightly larger equalizer in the 449 kit. And our Montana's all have a 35" spacing which means they should use the 449 kit.

What they have done is use the cheaper 359 kit to get the bushings, bolts, and HD shackles. They re-use the larger (~ 7.5" between the holes for the springs vs. ~ 6.0" separation on the smaller) equalizer, assuming it is in good shape, and discard the new one in the kit. They do have to get six additional bushings and two wet bolts as the kit comes with the bushings installed in the equalizer and a Zerk fitting to lube the pivot hole.

It seems that if one can order the wet bolts (part 007-187-00) and bushings (part 014-077-00, then it follows one could also order the shackles (018-024-01 and 018-026-00) and forgo the equalizer altogether. The idea is to upgrade the shackles, bushings and bolts. The equalizer should be bullet-proof but then WorkerB posted that link to RVnet where someone had one that broke. Oh well!

I had posted I (and a couple of friends) got the wet bolt kit (actually the 359 one) for $119. Others are saying the kit is "much more". I bet the "much more" kit is the 449 with the 35" (correct) equalizer. All of us are correct.

The equalizers shipped in the kit have a Zerk on the top (to lubricate the pivot point hole) and a dry bolt attaching it to the frame hanger. If you have a wet bolt in the pivot hole and no Zerk on top, your old equalizer was re-used.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote