Thread: SRW and Airbags
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I installed factory overload springs on my Ford F-250 to match an F-250 which increased my GVWR and will be added large wheels and tires to support the new weight and complete the transition, however they don't prevent sag. When trucks are loaded they will sag, some more that others. If you are sagging TOO much you might be overloaded and most after-market products will not increase the GVWR (look at the fine print) especially air bags.

The air bags do 3 things: 1) eliminate the sag by raising the rear end; 2) help put the headlight aim at the right angle instead of making your headlights look like highbeams to opposing traffic; 3.) improve the ride when under a heavy load making the ride smoother - eliminating some clunking and stuttering.

Your rig combination may not need it. But you will be the best one in determining that especially if you are seeing any of the 3 problems I mention. In my case, my Monty sagged my rear end quite a bit so the air bags helped me a lot. I got a huge return on all three benefits listed above. Even DW noticed the difference in the ride. I use 15# when empty and about 60# when hitched up. When carrying cargo I measure the distance between the wheel fender well and the top of the tire. Then after loading up the truck I put in enough air to achieve the same distance, then the aspect is the same as when the truck is almost empty.

I have not had any complications from the dealer/warranty in regards to the addition of the air bags (most service guys tell me, "very nice addition" when they see them). I had them installed 7 months after owning the truck back in 2006 and I still have an active warranty.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote