View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The dual mass flywheel is a fancy name for a slip clutch between the crankshaft mounting and the flywheel. The object is to reduces the shock pulses between the engine and the drive train. My 2002 Dodge 1500 has on and I never liked it because when pulling a heavy load (not an overload) it makes the truck shake when pulling away from a stop. I now have 180,000 miles on the truck and haven’t had to replace it. I have worked on similar arrangements used between industrial diesel engines and reduction gear boxes that don’t have any clutch to disconnect the gearbox from the engine during start and stop. The heavy units used on the industrial application don’t give a lot of trouble, however the people that have removed or locked them so they didn’t work on the industrial application have severely damaged the gear box.

I would recommend having a good look at the loads you are imposing on the vehicle. After the first time I felt the shake in my truck I ask questions about it and I got the answer I put at the beginning of this post. Ever since learning about this unit I have been very careful not to overload the truck.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote