View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
B&W Companion Hitch

Wow, not only is the MOC Forum helpful, but so are the rallies. Here at the Lake Siskiyou Rally I ran across Bill Napier (xthread). He had a B&W Companion hitch too. In comparing notes, I decided on investigating the possibility of repositioning my hitch. On investigation, what I found upset me significantly. The eight bolts that hold part of the hitch were apparently never fully tightened and torqued. The holes were wallowed out and the bolts were significantly worn.

Bill also noticed that the hitch pin that fits into the gooseneck hole was not installed properly. He produced installation instructions which I never had since my hitch was installed at a shop. I also called B&W Customer Service. The tech confirmed everything that Bill stated.

I went to every store (4) in Mt Shasta City to find the right replacement bolts, nuts, and washers, reassembled it in the new configuration and torqued everything to specifications. It was a major catastrophe just waiting to happen, but avoided by a conversation with a fellow MOCer. Thanks Bill!!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote