Thread: Flying season?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
A note to all above: Phil, Rog, The best low cost way into the sport is the small, electric "park flyers". So named because they can be flown in small areas(some inside,some outside in calm weather) and are quiet. (Mine is the Estes Sky Ranger-$20 @Wally World) Also they are very light weight so if they encounter a person, place or thing, neither they or the object sustain damage. Most "toy" planes are 2-channel, 27 mhz things that recharge from the controller. I would suggest finding one that the controller mimicks the "real" RC transmitters,ie, two sticks. One that controls up/down, and one that controls left/right. These actions are generally done by controling one or both motors rather than moveable control surfaces. By using this type of controler, you can progress more smoothly to the more expensive transmitters and planes. I would also suggest investing in a flight simulator program for RC planes. I am using the Ikarus "Easyly2" which is a lower cost version of one of the premier programs. Comes with either a "game controller" or an actual transmitter that can later be used for model flying. This option wasn't available when I bought mine.
Noneck, I'm 61, does that mean that in 9 yrs I too can be a real pilot. You should be very proud and happy for your Dad. Dreams never really die until someone kills them.

Happy flying to all, no matter what scale! Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote