Thread: Shower drain
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #27
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I have two thoughts as to why they are using them.
The first being the fact that a P-trap could dry up and let sewer gases into the camper
The second is that the water in the traps would freeze if they weren't winterized.
Although most RV manufacturers are going to do whatever is cheapest which would be the P-trap
Not knowing I had these Hepvo valves , I poured antifreeze down them anyway when I winterized.

Years ago we had a 26' travel trailer we bought used from a friend, he told me how he winterized it. Opened the two low point drains , take a leaf blower ,and blow out the traps, plus he had a small piece of 2x4 ,that he used to prop open the toilet to leave it that way all winter . I just followed his lead, and never had any problems, nor any odors, of course the tanks were all empty. Maybe it all aired out before spring Anyway the last thing I worry about is traps drying up in an RV, I am guessing the manufacturer could care less about them drying up, and more of the limited space to be able to install a trap. With my fifth wheel that shower trap is behind my basement wall, I will for sure take a look at it next spring, and see. The least I will do is clean it, but will just see if there is room for a conventional p-trap.

On occasion when using the shower I get a faint odor, I suspect now that I know what trap it is, I am guessing its not closing up properly .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote