View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave10 View Post
the problem is Easy Lube does not fit Timken guidelines. "you should allow enough space in the housing for heat dissipation so excess grease throws clear from the bearing. Contain the grease around the bearing. The housing should normally be 1/3 full of grease during bearing assembly. Too much grease in the housing may cause high temperatures and excess churning of the grease." EasyLube fills the housing completely.
The excess heat and churning becomes more of a problem for long term highway speed. Again Easy lube was original intended for boat trailers and not RV's which generally run longer distances and higher speeds. Filling the hub with grease minimizes water intrusion for boat trailers and is not necessary for RV's.
There are other issues as well like grease compatibility, worn seals (allowing contamination of grease and grease on brake linings), improper application and old grease from the large bearing migrating to the small bearing.
One must choose what they think is best and it is nice to have facts while choosing. I have never lost a bearing from using Timken guidelines of packing while I don't believe those who use Easylube can claim that-- judging from the blown bearing I've witness while traveling around the USA.
I can claim that I have never had a bearing or seal issue in 15 years of using the EZ lube system and have NEVER repacked bearings on any of the 3 trailers I have owned in that time frame. And believe me, I am a maintenance guru. Disclaimer: We only tow around 2-3k per year
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote