View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschaaf View Post
Okay group here’s the deal.
I have a 2019 Montana High Country 305RL that I’ve only had for 8 months and probably put maybe 7000 miles on so far. Had to replace my first OEM tire two months ago when it picked up a construction spike. Obviously nobody’s fault it just happens. Had to borrow tools to mount the spare since Keystone doesn’t even supply a lug wrench (at least that I could find). So then went out and bought my own torque wrench and breaker bar for future events.

Did the tire go flat before you replaced it? How long did the trailer sit before the flat was changed? There is no coverage for that sort of damage unless you had purchased road hazard insurance.

Just had to replace my second OEM tire when we had a blowout on a Los Angeles expressway at 5PM on Labor Day. Great fun replacing that on the side of the road with the help of CA highway patrol with traffic whizzing by.

If the "blowout" was the tire next to the damaged tire it was predictable because of excess loading caused by having to support the load the puncture failure caused.

After that bit of fun and reading this forum I’ve become convinced to go out and get new Sailuns ST235/80R16 rather than wait for the next “boom”.
Tried to get them while on this trip, but wasn't in any place long enough to get them delivered and could find absolutely nobody who actually stocks them.

So anyway after all that onto my questions. The America Tires guy I bought the new replacement from said he couldn’t see anything obviously wrong with the blown tire. He didn’t necessarily seem like a tire expert, but any opinion on whether Keystone or the tire manufacturer would prorate me on that tire failing on so few miles? And question two, any thoughts about likelihood of Keystone covering the undercarriage damage caused by the blowout? It wasn’t terrible, but there was damage.

IMO the tire manufacturer has no responsibility to provide trailer damage repairs from a failed tire unless it can be proved the tire was defective. Some times manufacturers of newly designed tires will foot the bill for damages but they will want the damaged tire or what's left of it for their inhouse forensic examination.

Thanks in advance.
Overloaded tires degrade weather they are in motion or just setting. The degree of degrading lessons their ability to carry the load and eventually they will fail. When a tire takes on much more than it's able to carry such as having to support the load of another tire next to it when it fails, the sudden overloading is sort of recorded in the tire structure and is easily detected during a forensic exam. Such damage will weaken the tire carcass to the point it is no longer capable of carrying the load on it and degrading increases. The increase may cause a failure right away or days and weeks later.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote