Thread: Fan switch
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Ceiling Fan Switch

I had a similar problem in that this switch is so easy to turn on that the fan gets turned on when someone brushes an elbow against the switch panel while going up the stairs to the bedroom. In my Monty this is not a standard Decora switch available from HD or Lowes. It is a special self-contained switch designed for use without a wall box. I suppose the control panel could be modified to accept a box and a standard Decora switch. The opening is smaller than a standard wall box. Alternatively, silicone could be used to insulate the exposed electrical connections on a standard Decora switch. Failure to insulate or use a box could result in fireworks inside the wall if the electrical contacts come in contact with a conductive surface. The correct switch is made by Pass&Seymour (aka Legrand). These switches are used in RVs and mobile homes. The part number in my rig is SC070. I went to my local Pass&Seymour electrical dealer and they tried to order the switch several times, with no success even though it showed up in supplier catalogs and was supposed to be available. The wires do not attach with screws. After the rear cap is removed from the switch, one can see where the wires are pressed onto spikes in the rear of the switch. And, as you can see from the attached pictures, there is more than one wire to be attached. The spikes are long enough that the wires just lay on top on one another. Pictures of my switch and a .pdf from Pass&Seymour attached. Good luck. P.S. The pics are generally self explanatory but if you save them to your desktop you can read the file names.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side showing Part Number.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	5382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Showing Wire Connectivity.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	5383  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf PS-Brochure-Self-Contained-Devices_35716-1.pdf (628.0 KB, 112 views)