View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #65
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
You are very fortunate that this failure didn't cause any personal harm. I can see how such a failure would cause an interest in something different. I haven't heard that the IS is unbreakable. If that was an advertised fearure of this type of suspension it would be a compelling reason to switch over. All suspensions require adequate preventive maintenance. Some more than others perhaps. If IS requires less then that would be a plus.
It's no secret that most mid-grade fifth wheels come with sub-par suspensions to handle their weight. I suspect there is a manufacturing balance act to provide a spacious (luxury) RV, but keep weight limits under 26k (TV + RV). Otherwise special licensing can become another hurdle for purchasers and possibly limit sales.

That being said, the point is that all suspensions are subject to malfunctions. "Getaway couple" posted a video about their issues with their independent suspension install and failure. Par for the course. I have experienced suspension failure 2x. The second time I was traversing the Yukon territory, with the nearest place to gets parts from a lumber trucking company over 300 miles away! YES, I drove that 300 miles with, not 1, but 2 broken springs! If I had IS and a problem, there would have been no one that would be trained or experienced in working on that available anywhere. It's hard enough to get quality mechanics to fix common mechanical issues correctly.

I, too, can claim that I upgraded my suspension in 2017 and have not had a failure yet (3 years later). Noticeable difference in handling, and haven't spilt a cup of water off the countertop yet! (Although if I did, I wouldn't have said to myself, "See dummy!? Should'a spent that extra $4000.00 and you wouldn't be wiping this up off the floor!")

I suspect it was my choice to upgrade from a 7k leaf spring suspension to a 8k horse and buggy suspension with correct track alignment and anti sway bars that has kept me failure free. (FYI, IS has been around for a hundred years).

Had I simply just repaired my horse and buggy suspension (replaced with same parts), rather than fix the problem (overweight) I could be writing about my 4th or 5th failure or I might have chosen to get an 8k IS and would be professing about how it has saved my bacon ever since (and lightened my wallet).

My choice wasn't about affordability. It was about value. If you get similar results for half the price....well you have to be able to justify it. I couldn't, which I thought the OP might want to know.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote