View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DuneBuggyBuilder

Time out! Before you replace the converter or any other parts, you need to really diagnose your problem (or problems).
Absolutey agree...I am in the process and appreciate all the advice!

Your converter is the Progressive one and it is not a separate box. It is part of the power panel. The Progressive is a smart charger and has more than enough capacity for your battery configuration.
Yes, I have found that to be the case...hoping that it is NOT the converter, but will do more investigation and post results.

Just because a tech says your battery voltage is low doesn't make it so. I would double check this observation.
The RV tech I used is quite good, but not infallible of course. I will look into the battery voltage issue further however.

The 25 Amp Reverse Battery fuses protect the converter from someone reversing the power cables connected to the batteries. These rarely fail and only do so when someone has been disconnecting and reconnect the battery cables. You wrote you have new batteries. Did someone goof up during installation?
The batteries are connected properly, the converter manual suggested to remove the 25 amp Reverse Battery fuses to help diagnose the converter operation

I would first check the voltage at the batteries when connected to shore power. If you see more than 13V then the converter is doing its thing. If the charge is 12.6V or less then the converter is not charging the batteries. Check the battery disconnect switch in the convenience center to ensure it not the culprit.
I don't have shore power where it is parked now, but the lights etc seem to work OK which leads me to believe the batt. disconnect switch is operating correctly? Plenty of batt. power for the lights at least...

Oh yea, one last thing. That non-functional landing gear is a current topic elsewhere here on the MOC. The most common cause is a striped gear in the leg assembly. If you are mechanically inclined you can repair it easily and inexpensively (call Venture Manufacturing). They can supply pieces parts or entire legs
Ya, I will also look into the possibility of a landing gear mechanical issue vs. a low battery causing the clutch mechanism to engage while trying to lift (or retract)

Call a qualified mobile repair guy if you aren't comfortable diagnosing electrical issues.
Yep, got a good one already...not afraid to call for help when needed!
Thanks for the feedback!