View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I have a surge protector and a power guard that I use at all campground pedestals. That way I know that the pedestal is correct and it will shut off power during surge or low periods to the unit. It is a portable one, and hooks up between the shore power cord and the pedestal.
I was not using it at the home. Only have the Rv hooked up to 15 amps, to run a small fan and to keep the battery recharged. We were struck by the tornado on April 27th here at my homein Collegedale TN and at my work spot in Ringgold for the US Postal Service. Had a severe storm that struck us last tuesday evening, and a lightning strike hit in our backyard. It threw half of the breakers in the house, and electronics on that circuit were protected by surge protectors that gave their lives for lcd tv, satellite and computer. But the camper was not protected like that,and when I checked it out on Saturday, saw that the 20 amp breaker for the converter was thrown. When I turned the circuit back on, the converter growled, then smoked. Sure it was burned through, as it also popped the household breaker that held that circuit.
When I replace the converter, I plan on putting the 50 amp surge guard on it so it will shut off to the camper when it picks up the amp overage.
How extensive is the changing of lines for the new converter? I assume that it will be just swapping line for line and then making sure all the lugs are tightened?
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote