View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Here is my list of my lessons learned towing a fifth wheel for the first time:

1)Never assume that the yellow pole your wife or spotter is trying to warn you about is the yellow pole you clearly see on your side of the tow vehicle. She might be warning you about the about the yellow pole on "her side". This lesson caused me to tear off the awning supports and put a big hole in the side of the trailer.

2)There is always a tree branch waiting to tear your rubber roof in National Parks. Give trees a lot of room when turning or backing. Spotters need to look up as well as around.

3)Always keep your spotter in view, agree on some basic hand signals and stop backing whenever you lose sight of the spotter.

4)Street curves always seem to move and jump under your trailer tires so make all your turns wide. This saves on tire sidewalls.

5)Don’t assume that height clearance signs at gas stations were measured from the stall lights. For some reason gas station owners get very upset when you take down their gas stall overhead lights. Post a sticker on your dash to remind you of your trailer height.

Tony
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote