View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #39
TrailTrackers
Established Member

M.O.C. #20852
I know I'm new, and we aren't full time yet, but here are some options that I see for you:

Put a small cabin on the property in Washington with a full service RV pad next to it.
Put a full service RV pad at one (or more) of your kids' homes.

Both of the above will allow you to stay for extended periods at any of those locations. Your kids would also be getting property value added to their homes in the deal.

My wife and I are also in our 50's (I'll be 54 next month) and I just retired in Feb. 2017. We live in Utah and just had the realtor stick the sign in the ground Monday. As excited as we were, the minute that sign went in the ground we got those feelings in our stomachs too. But we're sure it's cause we built this home 15 yrs ago and it's just sentimental crap tugging on us is all. We also thought about doing the landlord thing but no way. Can't stand the thought of having to rush back to Utah to fix a problem somebody else created in MY HOME.
Just my opinion, but I think you would be tons better off out from under all those high taxes. I was born and raised in CA but left when I joined the Army, and I will NEVER again be a resident of that state or do anything that would cause myself to have to pay its income taxes again. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Edit:
Another thing I should mention is that I also have lots of tools that I'm just not giving up. And the wife wants to keep some of the furniture because we may purchase a mobile home down the road. Heck, we've even kicked around the idea of purchasing an RV/mobile home park and being owners/operators of that; that's a whole separate thread though.
Anyway, the way I'm handling the things we are keeping is I've bought a 24' car hauler trailer. It was only $7000.00 brand new and the wife has agreed that is the available space she has for the furnishings she can keep. LOL... We've sold and dumped a lot of stuff considering our home is just over 5500 sq. ft.
So instead of a storage unit with our stuff packed inside that, I'll be storing the trailer. This way it's not going to feel like an anchor to us. If we get set up some place, it will be simple to just go get the trailer and haul it to where we are. I have it fully insured so if anything happens we don't have to worry about being totally "out of luck" either. And because our stuff will already be packed in the trailer, it will be a one-man operation to go get it when the time comes. We won't have to drop everything just to go rent a moving truck or trailer, unload a storage unit into it and then clean it and return it.

Same goes with all my tools. I'm thinking I'm going to purchase another trailer after the first of the year to use as a tool trailer, but I still have to do some research to see if I can legally pull it as "doubles" behind the 24' trailer.

Note: The reason why I bought a car hauler trailer is because they have a stronger floor in them and a stronger ramp door at the back.
TrailTrackers is offline   Reply With Quote