View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #71
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Thank you, and all the other posters, for your service.

Great pictures, and stories.

I worked for a Gov't facility that did Nuclear weapons tests at the Nevada Test Site, and was a Mechanical Technician supporting Physicists designing, fabricating and deploying X-ray Diagnostics packages that went downhole with the Nuke out in the desert, from 1980-1992 when they ceased nuclear weapons testing.

In the early 80's we were traveling in the northern area of the NTS, I was driving and my passenger was a Military nerd, and he see's an airplane north of us, which is Area 51 and the Tonopah Test Range. He mentions that it is an odd looking, very large swept wing craft, much larger than he had seen before. I'm like, Cool, and we continued on to our jobsite. Coming home that afternoon, the only radio station we could as usual was KDWN, and they were live at I believe Nellis, at the first unveiling of the F117A, I believe, airplane. He said that must be what we had seen.

After NTS ceased testing, we moved on to other testing, ahem, and I got to travel to many military sites. One that has a B-52, and several early helicopters is on the Abq, Nm military base. They even have a scale replica of Fat Man. Most of that gated area is home to Sandia Nat'l Labs, and a really neat huge bridge-like structure that they do electronics testing on. I saw my first B1 there, getting ready to be run out on the platform. Man the landing gear is tall.

Thanks for all the images

Allen