Thread: Loose axle
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil Eyler

I looked under my unit (2014 3402 RL) and noticed where the axle is strapped to the frame the axle was shiny. I was actually able to turn the bolt that holds the strap by hand. That's not good! Does anybody remember how tight I should torque those bolts. I figure I'd better torque them before my next trip. It could be very sad if I don't.
I think there is a problem with which parts you are talking about. On the frame, there are tabs welded on that secures one end of the spring pack with a bolt. On the other end of the spring pack are shackles that connect the other end of the leaf spring assembly, which has a bolt through the shackles and the eye of the spring. In the middle of the spring assembly is a bracket with a couple of u-bolts which attach the axle tube to the spring pack. The nuts on the u-bolts are torqued to 45 to 70 ft lbs, but you are saying you can turn a bolt. The photo shows an underslung axle setup, where yours is an overslung, with the axle under the springs. Which bolt is loose?

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote