View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Should I Trust My Tow Vehicle?

Per my signature, I tow a 2002 Montana 3280RL (completely upgraded) 5th wheel with a 2005 F-250 XLT 4X4 6.0.

On most recent trip, truck developed bad transmission leak. Luckily I got it to a Ford dealer...turns out to be the torque converter. They were nice enough to let us park the rig in their lot. We boondocked there for 1 night and then rented a car to get home, only 42 miles away. Truck will be finished in a few days as they needed to order the part.

I have complete history of truck since new, previous owner kept a log book. It has 156,000 miles on it. It had 118,000 on it when I got it 5 years ago. Prior owner replaced turbocharger at 110,000. Been running Rotella 5W40, Archoill fuel and oil treatment. Last Blackstone analysis showed all is good. I've done the following (most within last 3 years):

Bypass coolant filter
Serpentine belt
New tires, pads, rotors, calipers
Rebuilt the automatic transmission
2 new batteries
Upgraded alternator
Both drag links
Bilsteen shocks
Rancho Steering stabilizer
Turbocharger cool side metal duct with rubber boots
Bullet Proofed (by Ford Powerstroke Master Mechanic) including:
Genuine Bulletproof EGR cooler and water pump
OEM oil cooler and EGR valve
Stand pipes; dummy plugs
ARP studs
8 OEM injectors
Fan Clutch
Distilled water cooling system flush (before new oil cooler)
Ford Orange ELC coolant
Anything else he thought needed attention while the cab was off.
And now torque converter.

The only other issue has been the turbo hot side boots. I've had the top boot come off 3 different times, and the bottom one once, always when I was towing uphill. They've both been replaced with OEM and Riff-Raff; OEM currently installed. Very nerve wracking when it happens. Fortunately each time I've been able to immediately find a place to pull over, repair and get on the road again. I carry tools and spare parts.

Not towing, my EOT ECT delta runs 2 to 4 degrees. When towing, runs 4 to 6 on flat terrain. Climbing mountains, never exceeds 12 and comes back down quickly when fan engages or going downhill.

Wife is afraid about when the next breakdown will occur. My thinking is that I've still got the HPOP, FICM, and radiator to go. What more can go wrong? Is it time to replace the truck? In which case I will give up RVing because $60,000+ for a (new) used truck is not in the budget.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote