View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
LMurphy,
First you need to recover all the parts. There should be a crank handle, a spring, and the antenna rotator. You will also need an allen wrench that will fit the crank handle. The batwing antenna from the outside looks like a capitol T. The top of the T must be pointing from front to back or you won't be able to crank the antenna down. I would try the following: First verify that the antenna is fully extended vertical. Next take the largest part you have and look at it. Notice it is round except for a little point on the edge. Next look at the ceiling. The plastic part also has a point on it. These two points have to be lined up before cranking the antenna down. When the two points are lined up, this means the T (Batwing) is facing front to back. Put the large piece in place and line up the two points. Now get the handle and put it on the shaft. Hopefully it will easily crank the antenna down. You may have to use your allen wrench and tighten it onto the shaft before cranking it down. Just a note here. Most RV dealers have replacement parts for your antenna. The shaft is sold too long so it will work for roofs of different thicknesses. That means once in place the shaft needs to be cut to the correct length for your specific roof. Too long a shaft also makes it difficult to crank up and down the antenna. Time to make the final assembly. Assuming the antenna is down, take the largest plastic part and put in place and line up the two pointers. Next put the spring on the shaft. Now take the handle, put it on the shaft and using the allen wrench tighten the allen screw to hold the handle on the shaft. This next part is hard to convey. If the shaft is the correct length you should only be able to pull the ring with the point down enough to clear the stops and it will almost be rubbing the crank handle. If you clear the stops (all those little dimples)and still have a lot of shaft left it means your shaft is too long and needs to be shortened. Whew! That was kinda wordy. If you still need help PM me and I'll call you. Usually it's an easy fix and not too expensive if you have to buy replacement parts. BTW I have left my amplifier on and after sitting for the winter found my batteries drained when I returned. I leave mine on 24/7 when on the road and when she's sitting I turn everything off including the antenna amplifier. Hope this helped,
John and Roxanne Shepphird
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote