View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Certainly glad I was born in the 50's

This may come off as a doom and gloom perspective on life, but I deal in the facts as they come at me each and every day and tend not to sit around with my head stuck in the sand. I am soooo glad I was born in the 50's and am not currently say 18 years old with a lifetime ahead of me. Can you fathom what the world has in store for you at that age??? I've always been a hands-on guy that seldom relies on some company to repair my everyday woes, chase down a code that simply requires a sensor change on my vehicle, or construct a new pole barn on my property. Those of you that live the opposite of this (nothing wrong with different lifestyles) won't be as unnerved at my few following examples. We no longer have any lawnmower/small engine repair shops in my end of town where there used to be 2-3. The owners got old and couldn't find younger people even interested in buying the business despite a very steady customer base. My Pathway X2's circuit board died ... Winegard won't repair anything older than 5 years. Had to buy a new one. Several RV parks along our last trip would not rent to travelers if their unit was older than 10 years no matter how well kept it was. Most all local motorcycle dealers will not work on bikes over 10 years old ... you have to find a guy working out of his garage to touch any bike with carburetors here. Two cycle outboard/PWC mechanics are getting few and far between despite a ton of them still in use. And lightly touching on building codes ... a tree limb fell in a friend's backyard demolishing the yard shed and yanking the power lines out of the weather head on the house. Evergy replaced the power lines from the pole, but "per code" the contracted electrician cannot simply connect the new lines to the weather head on the house nor can the meter can right below the weather head be used as it is too close to the same window it has been next to for the past 50 years. This wiring job will cost thousands to get power back to the house. Yes, I understand new construction codes ... but there ought to be something lesser for a situation like I've laid out here. Our older population is generally not flush with cash. I truly think we have big troubles coming in say another 10 - 20 years and I'm glad that my remaining time above ground is not an entire lifetime that young kids are facing.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote