View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #14
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Falling jacks - my turn!

We are hoping to leave for a weekend trip in the morning...first time out in exactly 1 year. I have been cleaning it up and getting it ready. Got hooked up to the truck, retracted all of the jacks and half hour later noticed both drivers side rear jack legs were down a couple of inches. I had some small ratchet straps and tried strapping them up to keep closed - figuring if I can get thru this weekend I will do more tests and figure out what is wrong when we get back. Read thru this thread and tried to tighten the 1/8" allen head screw on top of the hydac valve. While I was in the compartment I noticed a drip of hydraulic fluid on the end of a THING (??? don't know what it is - see pic below). The allen head screw did not feel like it moved clockwise (tighten) at all. None.

The hose connections for each jack (all jacks both sides and front) are dirty with what I consider road grime. There is no evidence of dripping on any of the feet.

1. Straps? - As you can see from the pic of the jack - my little baby straps must not be big enough because the jack has come down 2" with the strap on it. Do any of you guys have a pic of how you have strapped these things up successfully? I suppose I need to go get some more substantial ratchet straps tomorrow morning.

2. I will have to do a lot of reading and video watching when I get back to try to figure out what to do next. Probably will start with a search to find all of ChuckS posts on the hydraulic system. I have read lots of threads here - but my brain cells forgot most of it. Now that I have the problem - I will have to learn for real.

3. I read in the posts to this thread "I cycled the jacks up/down and the slides in/out a couple times and it hasn't happened since". I have not tried this yet. In the morning I will remove my little baby straps and run the jacks up and down several (3?) times and run the slides in and out (3?) times to see if it makes any difference before I head to Tractor Supply to buy some more substantial straps.

4. I just remembered that in October 2021 - we were leaving a campground and I noticed the REAR drivers side jack was down a bit. I strapped it up with a motley bunch of crap, chains, rope etc. until we got to our destination. The next day and everyday after - the problem was gone. I thought that maybe I failed to retract the legs completely, and I never thought about it again until now. I have been looking at the hose connections semi-regularly looking for red drips and stains on the feet, and I have not seen any evidence of those leaks.

Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-12-01_19-51-29.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	13749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic leg.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	13750  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy