View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Your inverter only powers the reefer when it is turned on and you aren't on SP. Your batter(s) supply 12 volts to the inverter which ups it to 120 volt to run reefer. When the batteries drop below a certain level no more power to reefer. Mine has run on inverter/batteries (2 Group 27 wet cells) for 13 hours without quitting but very little else was being fed by batteries.
Thanks for the input!

I do understand how the inverter works, at least the 12V DC to 120V AC part. What I did not quite understand (or know about) is the auto-switching on the inverter when you're plugged into SP. That is something that's actually built into some inverters, but none that I've ever used.

I'm a recovering engineer by trade, I just have to know how things like this work.

As for the length of time that the fridge will run on the inverter, I would think that it only requires a "large" amount of power when it's actually running. The newer residential fridges are pretty energy efficient, so as long as you kept the doors closed, and it wasn't a 110deg inside the RV, it should be good for a while...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote