View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Flooring thickness?

Well, having just came through 3 days of solid rain — about 7” or so with Tropical Storm Beta, I found out that our large living room slide is leaking in the corner near the rear of the unit. I never saw any water coming in or dripping, but I discovered that the carpet was wet. As best I can tell, the water is getting in from the seam just behind the face of the slide out. It’s apparently been doing it a while since I found that the flooring in the corner is pretty soft so I’m going to need to replace part of it which leads me to my question. I can also feel a very slight bulge down the side wall of the slide out along the front facing edge. Once I felt it I could see it, but more can feel it not as flat as the same spot on the other end of the slide out.

I want to get the stuff to fix it before I tear into it — some eternabond tape for the seam on top of the slideout, some marine plywood, and some sort of wrap for the replacement piece of plywood. My question is what is the thickness of the flooring? I was thinking it was 3/4” but someone told me he thought it was only 1/2.”

I was looking at some videos of floor repair in the slideouts and saw that there is somewhat of a design flaw in the bottom molding piece in that it allows water to run down and over it and then continue running down and under the slide out into the flooring. So I guess that as long as I’m at it I’ll put in some better flashing on the bottom of the side walls.

Someone mention something called a slide out ski? Or should I just get a little longer piece of flashing to replace that molding with?

Well, it looks like I have more than one question:
-What is the thickness of the flooring, 3/4” or 1/2”?
-What do you recommend to wrap the flooring in?
-Do you recommend painting the plywood with epoxy resin to seal it?
-What do you recommend for replacement molding/flashing along the bottom of the side walls?

Thanks so much guys!

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote