View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Sam, thanks for the opportunity to comment.

We had a Jensen in our previous trailer and Furrion in this one. The Jensen brand used to be sort of mid range audio then went into TVs and such. The TVs are acceptable but entry level. Picture on ours was OK for what it was (non HD) and it stayed with us for the duration of ownership. Speaker system (receiver) and speakers were Jensen as well. I pulled all the speakers and replaced with Kenwood due to the cheap, tinny sound.

This trailer came with the Furrion HD tv and sound system. All of it, every component, is garbage. The TV picture was marginal, the speakers terrible then the receiver and speakers for the sound was just horrific. After our first experience using them the TV had some issues trying to scan channels. I was told Keystone warranty was replacing it but that drug out so long that I had them install a new Samsung 4K smart TV. I replaced the cheap Furrion speakers with JBLs then added a sound bar. I'm not a big audiophile any longer but I do like to hear whatever it is that I'm watching or listening to. I'll sort the warranty stuff out when I return from FL.

Samsung makes one of the best TVs out there, particularly the sound from the TV itself. I own(ed) 4 homes and had them in all of them. Tried Visio, LG and others but they didn't compare.

Smart TVs, IMO, have a limited appeal for RV owners unless they live in them and are pretty much stationary. IF they have a browser a person might be able to use them to stream in some rare locations but that option is quickly disappearing. You can use Roku or Fire Sticks (have both) as other options.

At the end of the day I think it goes back to your initial comment about "better quality TV". That says what it means...."quality". Obviously it should have a good picture but more importantly are the electronics behind it and how they are used/executed. There is no reason to have a sharp picture and speakers so bad you either can't hear them or they buzz/hiss/etc. so much dialogue is indiscernable. If you get good basic quality TV those things usually come with it. 4K, SmartTV etc. are just "add ons" to a quality TV.

These things are highly subjective when it comes to the extended features and what people like. I think everyone would agree that improved quality of the basic components is needed. I certainly appreciate your efforts to seek input.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote