View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 07:25 AM   #134
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
To all on the forum,

I'm sure you will find that I have made no statements concerning whether or not a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck was more or less capable or acceptable for towing a 3400. What I said was that the pin weight of a 5th wheel trailer depended significantly on how much cargo was loaded and how it was loaded - and that this load could be managed. The empty pin weight on my 3400RL was 1960#. The GVWR of my 3/4 ton Chevy allows me to carry an additional 430# of pin weight. When loaded to this limit of 2380#, my trailer axle weight is 11267# and GVW of the trailer is 13,657. Since my dry weight was 11860#, my cargo weighs 1797#.

When doing so, we are legal in all respects! Nothing that Don thinks or says will change these facts! And it just happens to be done with a 3/4 ton truck! No I can not carry the full weight capacity (14150# and be legal) but I've been on a number of 3-4 week trips (no I do not fulltime) and have never carrried more than 1500#.

It's just plain rubbish to say it can't be done with a 3/4 ton truck. And yes, I do a good job of managing my weights - a place for everything, and everything in its place. I like it that way and so does my wife.

If I have gone to excessive lengths to justify my shortcomings, show me where! If any of the above is "warped logic", please show me where I'm wrong! Show me where I'm stupid (I happen to be an engineer)! Show me how any of this in any relates to any reference to time travel!

Again I say, the facts are the facts, regardless of whether or not they fit into the world made by Don and "his 30 years of RVing".
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote