View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I would really like to see a picture of how this looks. How are the bikes out of the way when turning or going over a rise where the handlebars would contact the trailer.
Wasn't a problem at all on our 1 ton dually RAM but those trucks are sky high (as in trouble to get in the bed even for me and I'm 6'2"). And we used a drop down receiver that put the rack considerably lower than it would have been if straight into the truck hitch.

On my truck, with either 5th wheel I could walk between the bikes and the trailer so no issues with turning clearance. Only two problems I did have with my setup was I could not open the generator door on the front of our new unit (I could open battery compartment) and I had to take the bikes off to hitch up (IE: let the tailgate all the way down). I could have added a longer piece of square tubing (the part that slides into the receiver and got the bikes back about 2-3" and the tailgate would have dropped down below the height of the hitch. OR if I had one of those notched tailgates I could have unhitched no problem with bikes in place. And if you really want to get technical I could have raised the front jacks on the trailer to give the clearance over the bikes (which may be the easiest thing for a 75 year old to do). The tailgate does let down some with the bikes in place so you only have to go a couple inches higher than what you normally would and yes you do have to first pull of the hitch and pull forward a foot or so then raise the trailer to clear before pulling the rest of the way out but it isn't that big of a deal.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote