View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Jim biased? Nah. Next you will say he is opiniated.

I know Jim will get me later
Yep I am opinioned and actually not ashamed of it.

But then I did put all the options out there. IF someone has a different opinion and wants to counter mine have at it.

I'm not sure you could call my thoughts on the pin box mounts biased so much as I just don't think it is the best place to mount the bikes for reasons I stated. And while some 75 year olds are very capable, I got the jest from the OP that he was looking for something that was very easy to use. That is why I suggested that a welder might be able to build something that would let the bikes be loaded on the carrier flat on the ground. They actually have something like that for motorcycles on the back of Class A motorhomes (granted it is hydraulic).

Just to let ya know we actually did carry our bikes on the back bumper of the tow truck and had absolutely no clearance problems with either of our trailers. We had a drop down hitch that left the handlebars about even with the tailgate. We did have to unload the bikes to drop the tailgate for hitching on our version but there is a drop down hinged bike rack that would have eliminated that issue or I could have gotten a piece of square tubing and made a longer slide for the hitch (I'm not real good at describing how that would work sorry). We no longer need the bike rack as we have a garage on the HC381TH. But we have on occasion used the rack when we went into a town and wanted to take the bikes. I just find that the rear bumper of the truck is the strongest, most stable and lowest mounting point for the bike rack. You can disagree if you like, I won't take offense.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote