Thread: Changing Oil
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My dear old Dad is 79 and still changes his own oil. I hope I am able to still do it if I am lucky enough to live that long. I am 55 and have serviced every vehicle I have owned for the last 39 years but if I was not able to do it I would only consider a good quick lube shop where I could watch them do it and verify my engine was not started with the engine drained.

The simple task of oil changes is the biggest cause of engine failures IMO.

Aztar's experience is not uncommon and the reason is because this task is so simple, even dealerships allow unskilled people to do it. It happens where sometimes the oil is drained, they go for a break, come back start up the vehicle, oops, no oil, filler her up and you take your baby home with the start of major engine wear. My Dad lost his engine in his year old 54 Ford after getting the oil changed at a dealer. He learned his lesson the hard way.

Like I said, the quick lube places do it right there while you watch. They always complete the job before going for a break and you can see for yourself your engine was drained and filled without being started.

The other alternative is a good small shop where you know and trust the people servicing your vehicle. I have been a Ford man all my life and I love Ford trucks but I would not let a Ford dealership ever do an oil change on my truck. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote