View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #11
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Bighorn, I really appreciate the info.

You mentioned that it was 3/16" shorter. I take that to mean that the pin was tucked under the front cap of the trailer an additional 3/16", making any turning interference problems just a tad worse - although problably not enough more to make any difference. Is this correct?

I have 2 reasons I want to make sure I don't make things worse if I install a different pin box.

1) While I was doing my looking, one of the things I liked about the Montanas was that the pin projected out to the front of the front end cap, and supposedly you could even purchase an extended pin box. When my 06 3400RL showed up, the pin was tucked nicely behind the front end cap. In looking at other units already on the dealers lot I could see that some had extended pin boxes and some didn't. According to the dealer, all new units under 34' had the extended pin, those longer did not. I was told this was a requirement of the frame manufacturer. What a bummer. Now I have to be more careful since I am towing with a short bed TV.

2) When I hitched up to the new unit, it was clear that it had a lower profile that the Cardinal I had been towing. After lowering the truck hitch to its lowest position, the trailer front end still rides approximately 1.5" high. I do not want install a pin box that would make things worse.

I was tolk by the dealer that the Mor/Ryde pin box was extended but I have not yet been able to verify that. Any comments?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote