View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 05:08 AM   #3
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Gcatt1, first let me welcome you to the forum. You will find this is a great place to ask questions, learn from others, and share your own advice and experiences. As far as your question, you are going to get all types of answers based on what type of truck you plan to purchase and what all the different folks here like based on their experiences. That being said, whatever you decide, I would highly recommend some type of air hitch or air pin setup. You can buy a hitch for the tow vehicle that has built in air bags to help smooth the ride and absorb the bumps transferred from the fiver to the truck etc. You can also get an air type pin for the fiver which is what I did. The air pins are generally less expensive than the air hitches installed in the truck, but keep in mind if you sell the fiver there goes the air pin with it. Another question would be are you going to tow with a short bed or long bed. If you tow with a short bed truck, many people, me included would recommend some type of sliding hitch for your truck. Sliding hitches slide back either manually or automatically when you get in tight turning situations where there is a danger of the fiver hitting the back of the truck cab or window. Manual sliders are quite a bit less expensive than auto sliders but you have to remember to manually pull the lever to slide it back. If you are going to tow with a long bed, you would not need any type of sliding hitch. As you can see there are many variables which will leave you with tons of ?'s. You will also need a good brake controller for the truck to control the fiver brakes. I will let others join in here, stand by for tons of info. Once again, welcome to forum and ask as many questions as you can, after all that is what this is all about.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote