View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I am now and have been a long time fan of Garmin GPS units. I have 2 Nuvi's that I use in my vehicles and I currently use a GPS 62s handheld, but still have a couple of GPS 60CSx models.
Although it is not the only GPS that offers the ability to download Cache information to the GPS like latest logs, information and hint if provided, the Garmin works very well for that information.
Mapping is also important, I have Topo Canada and Topo USA maps loaded onto my laptop and desktop so I can load maps for any part of those two countries I want to cache in. Maps are not cheap but you can download any of the Topo maps to more than one GPS, so I have shared these maps with several others that have Garmin GPSers.
The GPS 62's are no longer made but have been replaced with the GPS 64 series, they are the same size and shape with some updated features. You can buy these with TOPO US or TOPO Canada already loaded on the micro SD card, I prefer to have the CD's so that they are loaded on my computer and I can look at where I am going before I go and plan a route.
I have been geocaching since 2007 and have met many friends in both Canada and the US in my quest to find Caches.
Have fun and get familiar with the GPS before you go too far afield, if you leave your vehicle to go hiking mark the spot where your vehicle is so you can find your way back should you get lost.
Oh by the way I don't work for Garmin or sell any products, I just like their product and their service.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote