View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
The standard RV converter is designed to be always plugged in. As such, it is more of a trickle charger. Lead acid is verrrrry slow to fully charge while LiFePO4 is a straight line. A Lithium specific charger is a good investment.
When boondocking, you will not be using the converter, you aren't plugged in. I removed my converter and installed a proper Lithium Inverter/Charger. Now I can charge from 10% to 100% 6 100AH batteries in a little over 4 hours, less if the sun is shining. I set the allowed charge to 190A which is way below the amount allowed for LiFePO4 but it's all I have, 120 charger + 70 solar. I have 1,080W of solar.
Thank you.

Question, my research has me believing that the new rigs inverter / charger has boost at 14.4, but will drop back to 13.6 once the state of charge meets 13.8. If this is correct, that gives 90+ % charge state of the lithium batteries. I believe this is correct?

I realize not ideal, and why I posted this information, which may be old information ( mentioned by Carl) on PD's own webpage for Q&A. I do know PD a month ago spilled the beans they have a new design forthcoming, I will wait to get my Montana and try the factory inverter part of the converter ( powered by my generator) and upgrade if by then there is a new charger available, or just add another charger to the system bypassing the PD from Montana.

I am curious, you mention you can charge in 4 hours, a less time to recharge if the sun is out. My problem is, when I camp in the shade I have read I will likely get zero charge out of my 300w cell. Am I missing something ? And I noted I will use the converter system when I recharge with my generator, but I do understand the factory-supplied 75a is not much for recharging say 300Ah's of battleborn batteries, and I could use 150A of charge while running the generator without damaging the batteries. I am not sure if the generator can support the 150A charger, but it would be great to recharge at the maximum rate suggested.

As an option if I need more recharging capability I can get a suitcase 200w solar panel to max my Jaboni 30a mppt charger that I could place in the sun and chase it, but prefer to not do that while vacationing.

Thank you

Allen