Thread: SoftStartRV
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #20
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
No matter what advertisement the manufacturer of any "soft start" A/C product puts forth as far as running two units at once ... you have to bear in mind ... yes these "soft start" products do reduce start up amp draw ... no they do not reduce running amps. So you should understand that you may get an easier A/C start up cycle, but if both A/C's together draw more running amps than the 30 amp park pedestal supplies ... you will trip the breaker within a short period of time.
EXCEPT!!! if you order the new Super Solar Flex package, as I noted above...
Yes, the new units DO reduce running amps, by about 40% (9-11amps instead of 14-18amps). I confirmed this by phone with the designer of the system, Matt Wolkins, who continues to do real world testing of the new system. The most draw he has seen is 11 amps for these new 15k AC units, full load, in high heat and humidity. And, again typical draws are 9 amps.

I have not found that these new high efficiency AC units offered anywhere yet for retail sale. It is also the case that the batteries in the Super Solar Flex package are also not available for retail sale (DragonFly GC3, 255ah with built in heaters for low temperature charging).

So, this new Super Solar Flex package does seem leading edge in that it is an all in one solution from a factory, and contains some products that are leading edge and not offered at retail...

I am graciously offering myself up as a guinea pig (or maybe sacrificial lamb??)... we have ordered our new Montana with this package and will take delivery later this year.

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote