View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 11:28 PM   #12
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Sorry for my long TPMS story but I think it will help you out. I was in your exact situation back in 2012 when I bought my 2012 Silverado 3500HD dually with the polished aluminum wheels. Like you, at the time factory TPMS was only required on vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs or less.

My dually is my everyday driver and I had gotten a flat on one of my inside rear tires and didn't notice it. I don't know how long I was driving like that but that's when I decided to install a TPMS on my truck. In 2012 I think TST was the only aftermarket system available. Not wanting to remove the sensors every time I aired up I decided on the 507 with the flow thru sensors for my truck and my 5th wheel including the spar tires. 12 sensors total. Back in 2012 this was TST's 1st generation flow thru TPMS system with the monochrome display.

At the time TST only "recommended" metal valve stems. Now they require them. Not wanting to go through the hassle of trying to find out which metal stem would work with my aluminum wheels I installed them on my rubber valve stems. They worked great for about 3 or 4 months until I got a leak warning in one of my tires. The rubber valve stem had fail at the base where it comes thru the rim because of the centrifugal force on the sensor bending rubber valve stem.

At that point I removed all the flow thru sensor and started my quest to find metal valve stems. After much research, trial and error I found the Haltec Enki clamp on metal valve stems to fit in the cut out/ slots in our aluminum wheels perfectly. They are the Haltec Enkei valves : TV6010, TV6020, TV6030, TV6040 & TV6050
Depending on the length and angle you want. You can check out the Enkie valve stems here:
https://rubber-inc.com/valves/-passe...c10_37/?page=1

Don't let some kid at your local tire shop install them. Get them installed by a tire shop that's experienced in selling and installing custom wheels because these valve stems have double lock nuts and have to be torqued to the proper setting, Both nuts must be installed to keep them from coming loose.
I also purchased extra valve stems and replaced them when ever I get new tires because the rubber seals dry out over time.

After installing the valve stems I reinstalled the TST flow thru sensors and they have worked great over the past 10 years. A few years ago I upgraded to their first color display. Since then TST had upgraded their 507 flow thru sensors and they now have a new color display.

I have been very happy with TST's product and customer service over the years and recommend their 507 system. Due to the fact that my TST 507 system is over 10 years old and the new technology that is out there I decided to upgrade my system.

After researching the new after market TPMS system out there I decided to go with the TireMinder A1AS system with 7 internal sensors for my truck and 5 flow thru sensors for my 5th wheel. TireMinders flow thru sensors are smaller and lighter than TST's flow thru's.
I installed the internal sensors on my 2012 3500 HD last week. I am really happy with the system. There a a few reasons I switched to TireMinder. But the 2 main reasons were:
1. I wanted the factory style internal sensors on my truck and get rid of the metal valve stems and flow thru sensors. TST's internal sensors are attached with a metal band around the center of the rim. I didn't like this set up. The TireMinder internal sensors is exactly like OEM factory TPMS sensors. They are a direct bolt on to my factory aluminum rims. The valve stems fit the cut out /slots in our rims and I have no issues getting my tire chuck on to air my tires.
2. I like TireMinders the large color display and features.

TST served me well over the years and I was very happy with their system too.
TireMinder will cost you more money than TST 507 system but
If you don't want to hassle with getting metal stems I recommend getting the Tire Minder system with the internal sensors.
TireMinder says the batteries in their internal sensors will last up to 12 years.
TireMinder also gives you free lifetime supply of batteries for your flow thru or screw in sensors once a years. Just pay $5.00 SH. Depending on how may sensors you purchase you will get the same amount of batteries each year.

This is the air Chuck I use. It rotates and swivels 360 Degs and locks on. I can air all my tires including the inner rears with this chuck. The head of the chuck fits into the cutout/slots of the aluminum wheels.
I got the open flow chuck because I use an inflator/ gauge to air my tires. They also make a closed flow if you connect directly to your air hose and use a separate tire gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also recommend getting the Cap and core removal tool. It makes removing your valve caps on your inner rears very easy. You don't get burned any more trying to remove and install the valve caps on you inners wheels when they are hot..
Just push the rubber end over the valve cap and screw it off and on. The other end is for tightening the valve core..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps..