View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 11:31 AM   #22
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Just for clarity, seems I'm sensing a bit of confusion. My 35 gallon water tank and water transfer pump are used to fill the fresh water tank on my camper. Once its in the tank, the trailer on-board water pumps works like it always does.

It is possible to use a water pump with a portable tank outside the camper by simply hooking the hose from the pump directly to the trailer connection where the hose would attach if you are connected to city water. Turn the pump on (not the trailer pump) and you have pressure, same as running from city water. The only problem is, a water (transfer) pump has no pressure switch to turn it on and off. So it will run all the time and never shut off. BUT, in a pinch it could work this way. But the pump would never shut off.

You can do the same thing, if you purchase a separate RV water pump. They have the pressure switches built in and will turn on and off with the changing water pressure. This COULD be done, and not use the on-board pump, instead use one externally pumping from an external water tank. This would be no different that hooking a hose up to the spigot on your house. It's just the water pump is not pumping water from the ground. It's a much smaller one that pumping water from a tank.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote