View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Doing some more research on how to top off my Lithium batteries, I was researching how to best recharge them with the Solarflex's 300w not being able to keep up with my battery use, according to my math. One reason is that I dry camp in pine tree's, and the solar won't be much good unless I change where I park, and even then I won't get a full day's solar charging.

So my next recharging solution is to run my 2000w Honda, and the factory Progressive dynamics 75A house converter's charging system, VS buying an ac- charger like a PD stand alone, Renology, etc, at another $200-400!

On progressive's website I found this Question and answer:

Can I Use My Present Progressive Dynamics PD9200, PD4000 or PD4500 Series Lead/Acid Units With the Charge Wizard to Charge My Lithium Battery?
Yes, if you are willing to live with an expensive battery that is only partially charged. The Normal Output voltage of the PD9200, PD4000 and PD4500 Series voltage provides only 13.6-volts and a full charge voltage for Lithium needs to be 14.4 – 14.6 Volts. The PD9200, PD4000 & PD4500 Series Charge Wizard will initially jump to 14.4-volts in the Boost Mode when first connected to 120 VAC power and will remain there until the battery voltage reaches 13.8-Volts, then automatically drops down to the Normal Mode of 13.6-Volts. The faster charge rate of Lithium means that in the Boost Mode it will reach this 13.8-Volt point after only a few minutes of recharging and then the charging current will drop to ZERO AMPS and will not add any additional charge to your Lithium Battery. This lower charge state will not damage your battery, but will eliminate most of the advantages you paid for.

Very interesting information that took me quite awhile to learn. Hoping it saves others from researching this also. Here is the direct webpage:

https://www.progressivedyn.com/frequ...hium-charging/
The standard RV converter is designed to be always plugged in. As such, it is more of a trickle charger. Lead acid is verrrrry slow to fully charge while LiFePO4 is a straight line. A Lithium specific charger is a good investment.
When boondocking, you will not be using the converter, you aren't plugged in. I removed my converter and installed a proper Lithium Inverter/Charger. Now I can charge from 10% to 100% 6 100AH batteries in a little over 4 hours, less if the sun is shining. I set the allowed charge to 190A which is way below the amount allowed for LiFePO4 but it's all I have, 120 charger + 70 solar. I have 1,080W of solar.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote